From cars and tools to housing and childcare, many people would like to share resources but don’t know how–or where–to start. The Sharing Solution is a timely practical and legal guide that explains how to create and maintain successful sharing arrangements while addressing common concerns about liability, communication, and more.
This book will help anyone share:
• Meals and food, through bulk buying clubs, meal-sharing arrangements, community gardens, neighborhood fruit harvests, and more
• Household goods, from tools and toys to appliances and exercise equipment
• Cars, by sharing a car with a neighbor, starting or joining a car-sharing group, carpooling, or ride-sharing
• Caregiving, whether for pets, children, older family members, or relatives with disabilities
• Business resources, such as office supplies, equipment, space, and even employees
• Housing, whether by sharing a house, retrofitting a home to accommodate two households, or joining a cohousing community
The Sharing Solution speaks to Americans’ growing desire to not only live more sustainably, but also save money and create stronger communities. Sharing is a simple step anyone – young or old, rich or poor – can take, right now, to make a difference.
Who can benefit from sharing?
• Busy parents looking for help with meals or pet care
• Retirees who are looking to share needed services
• Anyone concerned about the environment and wants to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle.
• Anyone who wishes to purchase property but can’t afford a single-family home
• Professionals who work in community development
• Low-income families or those who require – or desire – a purchase that they cannot single-handedly afford
The authors, attorneys Janelle Orsi and Emily Doskow, bring a visionary spirit to developing practical, logistical, and legal frameworks for many types of sharing arrangements.
In the book, you will find:
• Sample written agreements for many kinds of sharing arrangements
• Step by step instructions for creating a sharing plan and sorting out logistics
• Legal explanations that are clear and accessible
• Ideas and examples of the creative ways that groups around the country have formed successful sharing arrangements
• Tips for communicating with your sharing partners and handling disputes
• Resources to help you find sharing partners, join existing sharing groups, and learn about helpful groups and organizations
• Useful checklists, charts, tables, and much more
The ultimate beauty of sharing is that it’s a solution we create for ourselves. It’s not a government program, nor is it the “latest and greatest” product marketed to us on billboards. It’s a solution based on our own needs and lifestyles, in our own communities. It’s a way for each of us to shape our own lives in positive ways and simultaneously benefit the world as a whole. In that respect, sharing is more than a simple trend: Some might even say our society is moving toward a sharing revolution. We hope you’ll use The Sharing Solution to become part of it.